The Health & Medicine Mission… is to promote social justice and challenge inequities in health and health care. We are an independent policy center that conducts research, educates and collaborates with other groups to advocate policies and impact health systems to improve the health status of all people.
The Health & Medicine Vision… is a society free of social inequities, with a healthy population accessing high quality health care, delivered in comprehensive health systems by culturally competent providers.
Health & Medicine’s Core Beliefs:
1. A just health system is one in which:
- health care is a human right,
- everyone is entitled to high quality healthcare regardless of ability to pay
- health and public health systems are effective, efficient, patient-centered, culturally competent, coordinated, community-based and not profit driven
- primary health care is the foundation of a high-performing health system and is adequately compensated
2. The elimination of health inequities (race and ethnicity, gender, education, income, geographic location, disability status and sexual orientation) will occur when society improves living conditions and tackles the inequitable distribution of power, money and resources.
3. The social determinants of health – those conditions in which people are born, grow, live, work and age – are primarily responsible for unfair and avoidable differences in health status.