In the course of carrying out our mission, Health & Medicine has undertaken a myriad of projects, always focused on strengthening systems to improve public health in Chicago, Cook County, and northern Illinois. We have always been proud of our ability to quickly
mobilize to respond to emerging health policy challenges tackling a
variety of critical issues over our history. Health & Medicine has:
- Participated in every major regional and state level task force charged with addressing health reform, long-term care reform, state health system planning, and the health care safety net.
- Worked closely with public and private entities implementing Affordable Care Act (ACA) and state-level health reforms.
- Actively responded to requests from community health centers and safety net hospitals for regular forums and conferences examining state and federal health reform efforts and their impact on health care safety net providers.
- Helped create the vision for a new Cook County Hospital which included integrated community-based out-patient facilities and established the independent governing board for the health system.
- Served on transition teams for the Governor’s Office, Cook County Board Presidents, and Chicago Mayors, and regularly advise dozens of state and federal legislators and policy leaders.
Health & Medicine has successfully developed health policy recommendations and implementation strategies for different public and private entities, earning the trust of the legislature, advocates, the media, researchers, and policymakers at all levels of government in Illinois to become the region’s “honest broker” on health policy matters.